Peggy Kennett Barber died Friday, October 21, 2011 in the Health Care Center at Friends Fellowship in Richmond, Indiana after a short illness. She was 90 years old.
Peggy Barber was born on October 23, 1920 in Croydon, England. She grew up and attended school and university in London, England. During World War Two, she served in the Royal Women’s Air Force, rising up to the title of Sergeant and helping train new recruits. She met her husband, Andrew, in London and they married in London, England in October 1945. They moved to Andrew’s hometown of Columbia Station, Ohio after Andrew finished his degrees at The Ohio State University. There they owned and operated Hillside Greenhouses, furnishing cut flowers to the florist industry in Cleveland, Ohio for many years and raised three daughters.
Peggy became a naturalized citizen in 1952. She was employed as a public librarian in Columbia Station. Peggy and Andrew moved to Topeka, Kansas in 1970 and then later retired to southern Ohio, where they were active in the Unitarian Church and Nature Conservancy. Peggy was an avid reader all of her life, enjoyed walking and the outdoors. She also enjoyed cooking, music, current events and poetry. She was a member of the Unitarian-Universalist Church for over 50 years. Peggy and Andrew enjoyed traveling, having traveled extensively in the United States and Canada as well as trips to Russia, Turkey, England, Costa Rica and Brazil.
Peggy and Andrew moved to Lynn, Indiana in 2000 and Andrew died in 2006. Peggy had resided at Friends Fellowship since 2009.
Survivors are her daughters, Andrea Daily and her husband, Greg, of Topeka, Kansas; Linden Dennis and her husband, Philip, of Lynn, Indiana; Heather Russak and her husband, Ben, of Carlsbad, California; grandchildren Danielle Ward, Alex Russak and Dylan Barber; and four great-grandchildren. She was extremely happy about the arrival of her fourth great-grandchild Layla Anna who was born on September 6, 2011.
A memorial service will be held at Friends Fellowship for family and friends. In lieu of flowers, contributions can be made to Morrison-Reeves Library or the Richmond Art Museum.